Hrmmm... I'm reminded of something else I've seen reported on recently...

On Fri, 5 Jun 2020, Ejaz Ahmed wrote:
localhost.cyberia.net.sa

I don't know if you've been paying attention, but it's been reported that among others EBay has been port scanning visitor's devices [0]. Having localhost.ebay.com could be handy for them in terms of circumventing some rules on setting of cookies and the execution of scripts. Not saying that's what they're doing, heaven forbid.

Any domain you visit could have entries in it which point to e.g. localhost or nonrouting addresses commonly used for gateways, things like that.

This is not a DNS problem, it's a problem in what commonly used programs aid and abet in the name of "freedom of commerce" or something.

--

Fred Morris

--

[0] https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/ebay-port-scans-visitors-computers-for-remote-access-programs/