On 5/20/2021 2:17 PM, Anand Buddhdev wrote:
You could also log directly to files (bypassing syslog), and then have
some process follow the files and send the logs to a remote server.

This seems rather inefficient, but there are established and flexible tools to do just this.

Without changing the configuration of my named (which is currently logging to a local file), I can make rsyslogd consider that file an input source. Once in, the parsing and output modules can then work on it.

This relies on the input module "imfile", and the output module "omfwd"

https://rsyslog-doc.readthedocs.io/en/latest/configuration/modules/idx_input.html

imfile appears to follow log rotations cleanly. A limitation I see is everything is assigned the same syslog facility.priority values.

It remains to be seen if this process can keep up with the query volume.

Warning: When started for the first time, imfile will read the existing file and start forwarding. If the query log already contains 800MB of lines, those will all be read in and passed through the parser and output modules.

John Thurston    907-465-8591
john.thurs...@alaska.gov
Department of Administration
State of Alaska