Hi,

Occasionally I need to add hosts manually to forward/reverse lookup zones
in BIND 9.16. We also have ISC DHCP. Both are on a Mac Mini using MacPorts
to install.

Since dynamic updates are continually in progress, I understand I need to
use *rndc** freeze zone* and *rndc** thaw zone* before and after making
changes (including manually incrementing the sequence number).

Can I safely accomplish the same thing by issuing an *rndc stop* command?
Would that allow me to make zone changes followed by an *rndc reload*
command?

Also, is it safe to simply reboot the server after OS updates, or is it
necessary to manually stop the DNS server first?

Does it matter where in the dynamically updated zone files I insert the new
host A record and PTR record?

With /etc/hosts I can add hosts on different subnets. To do that in DNS, do
I first need to add a reverse zone for the additional subnet so that I can
add PTR records to correspond to A records in the forward zone?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this subject.
--
Frank Kyosho Fallon
My pronouns are: He, HIm