Hello,

I have set up a nameserver and I would like to force all future client requests to TCP only. Essentially, one scenario would be for all UDP requests to be countered with a packet that has the TC bit set so the connection is retried via TCP. I want this rule to be applicable to all incoming request, no actual data exchange via UDPs, even for a simple dig request. I tried achieving this with the following 2 strategies but with no success:

1. set split value to 1 (in the rate-limit argument in named.conf.options)

2. I also tried to setup a response policy zone. I added the following in named.conf.options

        response-policy {
                zone "rpz.example.com" policy tcp-only;
        };

     and the appropriate CNAME record for rpz-tcp-only. in rpz.example.com.

Neither worked out.

I know this scenario is not compliant to standard DNS, it is only an experimental setup.
I am using bind 9.16.1 and the OS is Ubuntu 20.04.
If anyone has ideas on how to achieve this with bind, it would be very helpful.

Best Regards,

Donika Mirdita