On 05-Dec-22 11:17, vom513 wrote:
On Dec 5, 2022, at 4:06 AM, Matthijs Mekking<matth...@isc.org>  wrote:

'parental-agents' work the same as 'primaries'. It only supports addresses.

Listing them as domain names would technically be possible to implement, but it
requires an authoritative server to act as an resolver. Adding resolver code to
the path of an authoritative server is like crossing the streams. It adds
security risks that are unnecessary for an authoritative server, so I'd rather
not add such functionality.

Thanks for the confirmation - and yes makes sense.

Also thanks to Timothe in this thread for the script inspiration.  I cooked my
own up and tested it - works brilliant.  I also added some logic to email me if
there is a diff from the last run.  Will be interesting to see how often there
actually is.

I'm glad it was helpful.  Rather than do it yourself diffs/email, I'd suggest simply committing changes to git (or another source control system).  A commit hook can handle the diff and/or e-mail.  And having your configuration under source control can be very helpful when things go wrong.  It's trivial to roll back or forward, visualize history, and (sometimes) bisect.  And it enforces documenting why changes are made.  Plus, of course, it's easy to replicate changes to a local backup with a push...

If you've developed something that's generally useful - or could be made generally useful - I encourage you to share it.

Here, or especially if larger, a pointer to one of the usual platforms. (GitHub, GitLab, sourceforge, etc).

The community works best when everyone contributes what they can.

Timothe Litt
ACM Distinguished Engineer