Hi David.
"recursion yes;" tells named that it can (if it has to) make queries to
other places if it needs more information in order to answer a client
query. Pure authoritative servers shouldn't need it and should have
"recursion no;". So the first question is, do your servers make queries out
to other places? If so, recursion must be enabled.
Secondly, do you have "minimal-responses" configured on either/both
servers? If so, what is it set to? There were changes in 9.16 so maybe
these explain your observations.

Cheers, Greg