On 18/04/2023 1:40 am, Jiaming Zhang wrote:
However, I got a question on the syntax of |also-notify|​, what I can see from bind9's user manual, the target of |also-notify|​ can be |<remote-servers> | <ipv4_address> [ port <integer> ] | <ipv6_address> [ port <integer> ]|​, does this means that I can use domain names of the server instead of IP? Both name server has IPv4 (single or multiple) and IPv6 glued with the domain name, and I was wondering if by setting domain name instead of IP, bind will intelligently find if it would need to communicate with which IP (like it currently do with |notify yes|​). I asked because if by any chance for whatever reason sending notify was failed to a certain IP, it may look up any other available IP that is defined with the related domain name (at least from my observation).

As Greg said, it needs to be IP addresses, not host names. The documentation defines "<remote-servers>" as follows:

    A named list of one or more ip_addresses with optional tls_id, server_key,
and/or port. A remote-servers list may include other remote-servers lists. See
primaries block.

I was also confused what you exactly referred to with '"primaries" (or "masters" in old terminology) statement that includes the correct key name', I assume you mean I need to point which is the master and the keys to communicate with this specific master on the slave server. For the reference, I attached the related config on slave below.

```
zone "example.com" IN {
type slave;
masters { <ip of master>; };
file "/path/to/file";
allow-query { any; };
notify yes; # will become "explicit"
};
```

What I was trying to say was the primaries/masters block above needs to include the key name. Also you may not even need your secondaries (slaves) to send notifies - unless you have a hierarchical structure where your secondaries need to notify downstream secondaries? e.g. In the simplest case you might have your secondaries using:

   zone "example.com" IN {
   type slave;
   masters { 192.0.2.2 key "internal.example.com"; };
   file "/path/to/file";
   allow-query { any; };
   notify no;
   };

NB: In all my examples "192.0.2.2" is the primary (master) and "192.0.2.1" is the secondary (slave).

Nick.