I just spent 4 hours* of my life trying to figure out why BIND 9.16 complained on startup:

rpz 'rpz.local' is not a master or slave zone

when the zone was obviously defined, and was obviously loading. This was easily verified by looking at /named-checkconf -px/ output, and by looking in the logs to see the XFR from its primary.

It turns out . . . my global /response-policy/ option worked swimmingly when there was exactly one view defined. When there is more than one view, the reference to the zone becomes ambiguous and bind threw out that (not very) helpful message. When there is more than one view, the /response-policy/ must be specified in each relevant view.

Where do I make a 'feature request'? I think I see how to register defects (GitLab). Do feature requests go there, too? I'd love to see the text of that message be a little more explanatory. Maybe, "Dude. The zone you named exist, but with more than one view your reference is ambiguous."

And, now that I think about it, it also feels like a defect in /named-checkconf/ that this is not called out. Or maybe I'm expecting too much from /named-checkconf/ ?

* Admittedly, the second and third hours were of diminishing value, as my caffeine wore off and my frustration grew. After a night's sleep, and a pot of fresh tea I figured it out.

John Thurston    907-465-8591
john.thurs...@alaska.gov
Department of Administration
State of Alaska