On 01.03.24 08:24, Ondřej Surý wrote:
The "sortlist" option allows to define a complicated rules when and
how to reorder the resource records in the responses. The same
caveats as with the "rrset-order" apply - relying on any specific
order of resource records in the DNS responses is wrong.

We are not aware of any other (major) DNS server that would have
similar behaviour as this was never specified in the DNS protocol.
If you know of any software or hardware relying on any specific
order of the resource records in the DNS messages, it needs to
be reported as a bug to the respective vendor.

I don't know about _requirement_, but I have used this option as poor man's way to implement geographically local IP addresses
- to anyone return topologically closer IP addresses first, others next.

I found it especially nice because it doesn't matter which service are we using - if there are multiple IP's for _anything_, return topologically closer first.

Micro$oft random number generator: 0, 0, 0, 4.33e+67, 0, 0, 0...