There are several 'special-use' domain names I'm pondering

 * invalid.
 * test.
 * onion.

My read of the RFCs indicate they should result in NXDOMAIN, and not be passed for resolution.

RFC 6761 (test. Section 6.2.4 / invalid. Section 6.4.4)

caching DNS servers SHOULD, by default, generate immediate negative responses for all such queries.

RFC 7686 (onion. Section 2.4)

where not explicitly adapted to interoperate with Tor, SHOULD NOT attempt to look up records for .onion names. They MUST generate NXDOMAIN for all such queries.

Is there some reason these should not just be hammered into our RPZ ?

John Thurston    907-465-8591
john.thurs...@alaska.gov
Department of Administration
State of Alaska