Dear bioacousticians,
This mail concerns those interested in insects.
We have modified the typical plastic McPhail trap into an electronic one. As
the insect flies-in the trap it interrupts with its wings an opto-electronic
sensor. The recording of the light-fluctuation is turned to audio. This
short-time recording is enough to detect and classify the insect
(classification results in a forthcoming paper). The counts are transmitted at
the end of the day through a SIM card embedded in the trap that uses the GSM
net. Therefore insect counts can be transmitted as far as to another continent
whit a small cost.
The paper is open access and provides detailed instructions on how to make a
prototype, how much it costs and its carefully calculated projected cost (40
Euros)
http://www.mdpi.com/1424-8220/14/12/22285
We envision that modified traps could monitor insect species and densities in
remote areas. An electronic McPhail trap would reduce the human monitoring cost
and reduce the time-lag between actual events and processing of information
thus improving the effectiveness of decision-making.

Kind regards
Dr. Potamitis Ilyas
TEIC
GREECE