Dear all

our latest open access article is available here:
http://doi.org/10.1016/j.anbehav.2017.03.005

We explored if echolocation can be used for communication and highlight the
difference between eavesdropping on cues and communicating through signals.

In brief, listeners were able to perceive vocal signatures of different
individuals as well as between males and females.
However, the findings also indicate that the adaptive acoustic structure of
echolocation pulses limits its versatility as a potential communication signal.
The trade-off might be circumvented by a newly described modified pulse form,
facilitating the dual functionality for orientation/foraging and communication.

Many greetings!

* * * * * * * * * * *
Dr. Anna Bastian
University of Cape Town
Animal Evolution and Systematics Group
Department of Biological Sciences
Room 3.32
Tel: +27 (0)21 6502405<tel:+27%2021%20650%202405>
Fax: +27 (0)21 6502718<tel:+27%2021%20650%202718>
Email: anna.bast...@uct.ac.za<mailto:anna.bast...@uct.ac.za> or
anna0bast...@gmail.com<mailto:anna0bast...@gmail.com>
Disclaimer - University of Cape Town This e-mail is subject to UCT policies and
e-mail disclaimer published on our website at
http://www.uct.ac.za/about/policies/emaildisclaimer/ or obtainable from +27 21
650 9111. If this e-mail is not related to the business of UCT, it is sent by
the sender in an individual capacity. Please report security incidents or abuse
via cs...@uct.ac.za