Biotech news - TGen/SARRC Research Receives $7.1 Million Boost in
State Appropriations Funding for Autism Research

Represents First Step Toward Securing Funding for a Proposed $50
Million Autism Research Initiative

07-24-2006

Phoenix, AZ, (July 24, 2006) - The Arizona Legislature recently
appropriated $7.1 million to fund autism research at the
Translational Genomics Research Institute (TGen) – part of a joint
research collaboration between TGen and the Southwest Autism
Research & Resource Center (SARRC). The money will help fund
research aimed at producing an early diagnostic test to identify
children at-risk for autism and, moreover, what type of autism an at-
risk child might eventually develop.
The state-appropriated funds are also a launching point for securing
future funding for a TGen-proposed $50 million Arizona Autism
Research Initiative designed to not only improve early detection and
subclassification, but also provide new medicines for autism based
on a firm understanding of who will get it, what form an affected
individual has, and what causes it.

Autism spectrum disorders (ASDs) affect approximately one out of
every 166 children—a statistic that rested at two out of every
10,000 in the early 1990s. ASDs generally appear within the first
three years of life, impairing a child's intuitive thought, as well
as their language and social development facilities. Most
individuals diagnosed with an ASD require lifelong supervision and
care; the most severely affected are unable to speak.

The autism appropriation bill (SB1355) underwent a lengthy
legislative review process in both the Arizona House and Senate. The
bill was evaluated and voted on numerous times by each committee of
jurisdiction including the Health, Appropriations and Rules
committees. Each time the bill received near unanimous support.

"Arizona has decided to focus on this area as a way to make the
biggest impact against the disorder in the shortest amount of time,
based upon our area of competence. Not only is this a unique
opportunity that will benefit those locally and statewide, but
nationally as well," said Dr. Jeffrey Trent, TGen president and
scientific director.

"TGen will address early diagnostic testing with laser-like focus
with these funds," said Dr. Dietrich Stephan, director of
Neurogenomics at TGen and head of the autism research
program. "Earlier diagnosis allows early interventions, which we
know will improve the outcomes of patients with this devastating
disorder. Our larger initiative, for which we are still seeking
funds, will allow development of new, highly effective medicines."

According to lead sponsor of SB1355, Senator Carolyn Allen, Chairman
of the Arizona State Senate Health Committee, "The statistics are
staggering. As many as 1.5 million Americans are currently living
with some form of autism and based on the current growth rate, by
the next decade, the incidence of autism could exceed 4 million
people. Arizona has the opportunity to potentially develop new
treatment options that will benefit patients with autism and their
families."

Arizona State Representative Doug Quelland, Chairman of the House
Health Committee, also championed the bill.

"The Arizona legislature believed that the growing autism epidemic
was so important that both Houses came together to approve the
autism funding bill," said Quelland. "Because it is important to
diagnose autism early, we need to act now in order to quickly find
the answers we need for this growing epidemic."

Leaders from TGen and SARRC, as well as family members whose lives
are personally affected by autism, presented testimony at each
Health and Appropriations committee hearing. Members of the full
Senate and House favorably approved SB1355, which was signed by
Governor Janet Napolitano on June 21, 2006. Governor Napolitano is
only the third governor to sign into law a bill that supports autism
research (other states include California and New Jersey).

"Our Governor and legislative leaders have sent a message to
Arizonans and the rest of the country that our state is taking a
lead in the fight against autism," said Denise D. Resnik, SARRC co-
founder, board chairman and mother of a 15-year-old son with
autism. "Our goal with this funding is to maximize the return on
investment to the children and families in Arizona whose daily lives
are impacted by autism and also to maximize the state's investment
by leveraging national resources, bringing new opportunities to
Arizona and advancing scientific discoveries." # # #

About TGen
The Translational Genomics Research Institute (TGen) is a non-profit
501(c)(3) organization focused on developing earlier diagnostics and
smarter treatments. Translational genomics research is a relatively
new field employing innovative advances arising from the Human
Genome Project and applying them to the development of diagnostics,
prognostics and therapies for cancer, neurological disorders,
diabetes and other complex diseases. TGen's research is based on
personalized medicine. The institute plans to accomplish its goals
through robust and disease-focused research.

About SARRC
Founded in 1997, the Southwest Autism Research & Resource Center
(SARRC) is a nonprofit, community-based organization dedicated to
autism research, education and resources for children and young
adults with autism spectrum disorders (ASDs) and their families.
SARRC undertakes self-directed and collaborative research projects,
serves as a satellite site for national and international projects,
and provides up-to-date information, training and assistance to
families and professionals about ASDs. For more information about
SARRC, call (602) 340-8717 or visit www.autismcenter.org.

http://www.arizonabiotech.com/

http://www.arizonabiotech.com/
http://www.arizonaentrepreneurs.com/