Kerry Statement on Small Business Contracting, Innovation Research

7/12/2006

Today the Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship held a
hearing on "Strengthening Participation of Small Business in Federal
Contracting and Innovation Research Programs." Following are the
opening remarks of Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.), top Democrat on the
Committee, as prepared for delivery:

Opening Statement of Senator John Kerry

July 12, 2006

Chair Snowe, thank you for holding this hearing today. There are
many issues to cover regarding federal contracting and SBIR, and I
suspect we will not get to all of them today but we look forward to
working with all the witnesses on these issues in the weeks and
months ahead. I also hope that the Committee can work together in a
bipartisan way to reauthorize small business programs this year.

I want to start out by saying that I deeply appreciate that we are
having a hearing on SBIR -- a program important to my state as
evidenced by the two Massachusetts witnesses today. SBIR has helped
thousands of Massachusetts firms, including biotechnology firms. The
state is second only to California in receiving the largest number
of SBIR grants each year, with 840 grants going to Massachusetts
firms in 2004, bringing in almost $300 million to small, high tech
firms. That's about 14 percent of the $2 billion in SBIR grants
annually. I care about this program and want to ensure that it
continues to work well and in the interests of the small businesses
in my state and around the nation.

That said, I am not sure we should attempt to reauthorize the
program in what is left of this legislative year. The program does
not expire until 2008. There is a $5 million National Academy of
Sciences study due out later this year, which I know Dr. Wessner
will address, and it would be a shame to go forward without the
benefit of the study. I hope that we will take the time necessary to
give this program its due.

I know there is much controversy over the role of venture capital in
the SBIR program. I approach this issue with an open mind, eager to
hear all views and to engage in this issue with all of you so we can
determine what makes the most sense for small business and the
biotechnology and venture capital communities. I value the important
work being done by biotechnology firms and have been on their side
as a champion for stem cell research and R&D tax credits. During the
presidential campaign I called for substantial increases in research
for clean energy, medicine, advanced manufacturing, nanotechnology,
stem cell research and other priorities. I also called specifically
for increases in funding for life sciences -- such as biological
sciences, biotechnology, diagnostics -- and for industrial
biotechnology - advances such as "synthetic biology" which can lead
to biodegradable plastics, energy, fuels and chemicals based on
agriculture waste rather than oil. And I have long supported greater
federal support for "curiosity-driven" and long-term, high-risk
research.

Biotechnology has done so much for our society - I would like to see
a way for biotechnology to flourish, with federal support, without
undermining the small business aspect of the SBIR program.

We also need to remember that whatever we do to change the
definition of small business with regard to SBIR will have an impact
on all of the SBA's programs. In fact, it would be interesting to
hear what SBA's head of size standards has to say about this issue.
It would also be interesting to have GAO's input. Their recent study
concludes that the program is doing well, even with the recent rule
clarification by SBA.

Beyond the definition of a small business, there are a number of
other issues related to SBIR we need to address. Last year, Senator
Snowe and I were successful in having an amendment adopted to the
Defense authorization bill to create a new commercial pilot program
to encourage and foster the use of SBIR technology by the Defense
Department. This program has the potential to result in hundreds of
millions of dollars going to SBIR companies. We have 20 years of
research and development but we are still struggling with getting
the agencies to make the final investment and use SBIR products.

We also need to discuss increasing SBIR award sizes from $100,000
and $750,000; Senator Bayh's proposal to increase the 2.5-percent
set-aside for SBIR projects; and how to increase the geographic
diversity of the program.

Let me now turn to federal contracting, a subject that has come up
in a number of hearings recently: The SBA is meant to be a watch dog
for small businesses with respect to federal procurement policy, and
by all accounts, this dog has fallen asleep. Report after report
speaks to loopholes in the regulations that allow large businesses
to game the system, and the SBA continues to drag its feet in
correcting the problem. Despite the President's stated strategy to
unbundle contracts, they remain bundled because of procurement
staffing deficiencies, and small businesses are left to suffer the
consequences. Meanwhile, we read press releases that tout inflated
numbers for the number of small business contracts as a supposed
success story of the Administration. We'll hear from the newly
appointed SBA Inspector General today, and I look forward to his
update on the status of the SBA's efforts to safeguard small
business procurement participation. But despite the intentions of
that office, it is clear that the SBA continues to turn a blind eye
to its oversight responsibility.

The SBA also has a responsibility to look out for our underserved
communities; America's service disabled veterans, and its women-
owned and socially and economically disadvantaged businesses. But
the federal contracting goals that have been established for these
communities are never met, they are disregarded by this
Administration, and underserved communities are left to wonder why
the goals exist in the first place. The Administration must do a
better job of enforcing these goals across the federal government to
ensure underserved business communities of a fair shot at federal
contracting opportunities. And six years after Congress passed the
law, its time to stop playing games and to finally implement the
women's procurement program.

I look forward to introducing legislation to address some of the
problems we will discuss today -- including a bill that was included
during the last reauthorization but was dropped in conference -- to
address the issue of contract bundling. There is so much more that
can be done in this area and I look forward to the recommendations
of our witnesses.

http://www.arizonabiotech.com/

http://www.arizonabiotech.com/
http://www.arizonaentrepreneurs.com/