Dr. Joshua LaBaer to head Virginia G. Piper Center for Personalized
Diagnostics
<http://www.arizonabiotech.com/2009/02/dr-joshua-labaer-to-head-virginia\
-g.html>                        Arizona Internet Marketing
<http://www.azhttp.com/>

The Biodesign Institute at Arizona State University taps Harvard
scientist Dr. Joshua LaBaer to head Virginia G. Piper Center for
Personalized Diagnostics  [Joshua LaBaer portrait]
Joshua LaBaer

In a significant boost for an Arizona-based personalized medicine
initiative, the Biodesign Institute at Arizona State University and the
Virginia G. Piper Charitable Trust are pleased to announce Joshua
LaBaer, M.D., Ph.D., as director of the new Virginia G. Piper Center for
Personalized Diagnostics. Dr. LaBaer most recently served as director of
the Harvard Institute of Proteomics.

Funded by a multimillion gift from Piper Trust, the Center for
Personalized Diagnostics will pursue earlier, more accurate diagnosis of
diseases including lung cancer and diabetes. It will leverage the latest
capabilities in personalized medicine, an emerging field with potential
to improve patient treatments and outcomes by factoring in an
individual’s unique genetic and metabolic profile.

The Center occupies 8,000 sq. ft. within the Biodesign Institute. In
addition to the recruitment of LaBaer, the Piper Trust's philanthropic
investment supports development of the research team and laboratory
infrastructure such as a state-of-the-art robotic system for gene
cloning.

“Dr. LaBaer is one of a handful of innovators who could be
labeled trailblazers in the relatively new field of proteomics, which is
a crucial technology for profiling the molecular changes in disease and
a key for more personalized approaches to medicine,” said Dr.
George Poste, director of the Biodesign Institute and chief scientist
for ASU’s Complex Adaptive Systems Initiative. “The
generosity of the Piper Trust enabled us to recruit a true leader in the
field and provide his team with the sophisticated laboratory needed to
do this type of research. I am confident Dr. LaBaer and his team will
help place Arizona at the forefront of personalized medicine
research,” said Poste.

“In the future, we will look back at our current list of
illnesses as a gross oversimplification,” said LaBaer.
“Already, in our modern era of molecular medicine, we are
learning that what we have thought about as single diseases like
inflammatory bowel disease or breast cancer actually include many
different molecular variations, each with a different root cause, a
different prognosis and a response to specific therapies. Our lab hopes
to help develop new diagnostic tools that pinpoint the specific
molecular disease for each patient and directs physicians to the right
therapeutic strategy for that individual.”
With this appointment, LaBaer also becomes ASU’s first Virginia
G. Piper Chair of Personalized Medicine. The Partnership is a broad
effort launched in 2007 by the Piper Trust and Flinn Foundation to take
advantage of Arizona’s emerging strengths in the area of
personalized medicine.

Arizona Biotechnology Marketing
<http://www.azhttp.com/2007/04/29/biotechnology/>
Biotechnology News <../../../>