Ontbirders:

    Many people had high hopes to see some rare birds at Van Wagners Beach
today, with North-East winds predicted to be blowing
30-50kmh. The morning started off slow with a few distant Jaegers seen, and a
PEREGRINE FALCON flying along the shore around just
after 7am (and even landed on one of the rock piles).

    A Juvenile BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKE was spotted very close to shore around
10am, adding some excitement, and soon a few PARASITIC
JAEGERS flew a little closer and were Identified. Parasitic Jaegers were seen
off and on for the next few hours when an adult
LONG-TAILED JAEGER was seen flying near the wave tower. Despite the great
conditions, things still seemed fairly slow. Two Juvenile
SABINE'S GULLS were seen very far out in the lake, and distant Jaegers were
seen in groups up to about 3 in total.

    Soon after, Rain was spotted on the Horizon. A group of 6 Jaeger sp's. was
noted, but didn't allow for a good view (along with
other groups from 2-4 in size). Then the rain started, and along with the very
strong NE winds, creating some unpleasant birding
conditions and making many people decide to go home. About 15 minutes after the
rain started, it picked up considerably and caused
poor visibility, along with even stronger winds. Soon a flurry of Jaegers
passed right along the shore, with 5+ seen in a matter of
minutes. Then a Juvenile LONG-TAILED JAEGER flew down the BIKE PATH and crossed
about 10ft off the ground between two trees, passing
no farther than 15ft. from where my Dad and I were standing.  (an amazing
sight!!!). As the birds struggled against the strong
winds, it appeared that they were going to have to land on shore, so we took a
walk along the beach. Unfortunately they kept flying,
but we were lucky enough to get an Adult PARASITIC JAEGER fly about 40-50feet
from shore, and a second Juvenile LONG-TAILED JAEGER
that flew along the shore weakly as it was harassed by 3 or more RING-BILLED
GULLS (this time about 25ft from where we stood).

    As the rain let up, no Jaegers were seen close to shore, but as the rains
started again a group of SEVEN Jaegers was seen
leaving the lake, and just before the rain started again a third Juvenile
LONG-TAILED JAEGER and a Juvenile PARASITIC JAEGER flew
along the shoreline and about 30-35ft from the observers present.

All in all, it turned out to be an amazing day in the rain!

Good Birding Everyone!

Brandon and Eric Holden

Directions Van Wagner's Beach & Ponds - Eastport Dr. to Beach Blvd. to Van
Wagner's Beach Rd. (follow signs for Confederation Park),
or QEW Exit 88 to Centennial Parkway (Hwy. 20, Stoney Creek) to Van Wagner's
Beach Rd. then west (toward Skyway Bridge). Park near
Hutch's Restaurant. THE STRONGER THE EASTERLY WINDS THE BETTER!!!