Hi Everyone

Today, October 3, 2004 I lead a field trip into Renfrew County. We first birded
Westmeath Provincial Park and after some hard searching we were rewarded with
excellent views of a Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow.  Along the shoreline we
encountered a few flocks of American Pipits, Horned Larks and 1 Lapland
Longspur. The water level along the Ottawa River was low and there were 5
species of shorebirds, 2 Gr.Yellowlegs, 2 Pectoral Sandpiper, 1 Black-bellied
Plover, 1 Sanderling and 9 Dunlin. We had 1 Pine Siskin fly over calling.
    Later in the day we birded Lake Dore and observed 1 adult winter plumage
Little Gull in a flock of Bonaparte's Gulls. The loon numbers were up with 108
Common Loon but few Horned and Red-necked Grebes due to the rough water
conditions. Interesting ducks including 9 White-winged Scoter and 8
Red-breasted Merganser.
                                                            good birding
                                                                Bruce
Di Labio Birding Website
Courses and Field Trips
http://www3.sympatico.ca/bruce.dilabio/

Bruce Di Labio
400 Donald B. Munro Drive
P.O.Box 538
Carp,Ontario,K0A 1L0
(613)839-4395 Home (613)715-2571 Cell

Directions: From Ottawa take Hwy. 17 north to the first Pembroke exit and
follow to County Road 21. Turn right  and travel to County Road 12 and turn
left  Follow to Sand Point Rd. and turn left  and go to end of road for access
to the river. You can walk the beach east into Westmeath Provincial Park
checking the vegetation for the sparrow.

To reach Lake Dore, go north of Eganville on Hwy 41 for 5
km., then left on Point Church Rd.  Drive along the road looking for clearing
along the
lake shore to view the water.

If you require any additional information, please email me privately.