Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch
Ontario, Canada
Daily Raptor Counts: Oct 10, 2004

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture            1321           3742           4429
Osprey                       0              8            123
Bald Eagle                   9             32            170
Northern Harrier            23             45            387
Sharp-shinned Hawk         408            852           4561
Cooper's Hawk               28             46            182
Northern Goshawk             2              4              5
Red-shouldered Hawk         26             27             37
Broad-winged Hawk            2              4          14898
Red-tailed Hawk            130            207            666
Rough-legged Hawk            1              6              6
Golden Eagle                 1              1              2
American Kestrel            93            205           2622
Merlin                       0             15             50
Peregrine Falcon             1             36             53
Unknown                      0              0             13

Total:                    2045           5230          28204

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end   time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 8.5 hours

Official Counter: Keith Sealy

Observers:        Alf Ryder, Barry Cherriere, Dave Brown, Linda

Visitors:
Lots and lots....including Brian Prytulak, Lance and Faye Allin, Alf Ryder
and Barry and Linda Cherriere, Colin and Tony from T.O., others from
Sarnia and Cambridge and London.

Weather:
Definitely one of the better days I've enjoyed at Hawk Cliff...lots of
clouds to aid as backdrop for spotting the birds. Flight height was low
and high as the clouds moved in or just as quickly disappeared. Temp to 20
with moderate N winds.

Observations:
Awesome day today. Had a total of 13 species counted...including or first
Rough-legged Hawk (a nice light-morph), only our second Golden Eagle
(juvenile)which actually made a stoop on one of the raptor banding
stations but pulled up at the last second and so passed us along the cliff
edge at most a 100 feet up. WOW!!!  Also had a couple more Goshawks...both
adult birds.  If only we could've had an Osprey and a Merlin we'd of had
15 species.  Oh well....hard to complain after such a great day.  ;)

Report submitted by Dave Brown ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch information may be found at:
http://www.ezlink.on.ca/~thebrowns/HawkCliff/index.htm

Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch:
Oldest Hawkwatch in Ontario - since 1931 - located just east of Port
Stanley on the cliff overlooking Lake Erie