On Mon, Dec 07, 2015 at 10:02:17PM +0000, Gregory Maxwell via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> The Scaling Bitcoin Workshop in HK is just wrapping up. Many fascinating
> proposals were presented. I think this would be a good time to share my
> view of the near term arc for capacity increases in the Bitcoin system. I
> believe we’re in a fantastic place right now and that the community
> is ready to deliver on a clear forward path with a shared vision that
> addresses the needs of the system while upholding its values.

Thanks for writing this up. Putting the progress, ongoing work and plans related
to scaling in context, in one place, was badly needed.

> TL;DR:  I propose we work immediately towards the segwit 4MB block
> soft-fork which increases capacity and scalability, and recent speedups
> and incoming relay improvements make segwit a reasonable risk. BIP9
> and segwit will also make further improvements easier and faster to
> deploy. We’ll continue to set the stage for non-bandwidth-increase-based
> scaling, while building additional tools that would make bandwidth
> increases safer long term. Further work will prepare Bitcoin for further
> increases, which will become possible when justified, while also providing
> the groundwork to make them justifiable.

Sounds good to me.

There are multiple ways to get involved in ongoing work, where the community
can help to make this happen sooner:

- Review the versionbits BIP
https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0009.mediawiki:

  - Compare and test with implementation:
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/6816

- Review CSV BIPs (BIP68
https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0068.mediawiki /
       BIP112 https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0112.mediawiki),

  - Compare and test implementation:

    https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/6564  BIP-112: Mempool-only
CHECKSEQUENCEVERIFY
    https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/6312  BIP-68: Mempool-only sequence
number constraint verification
    https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/7184  [WIP] Implement SequenceLocks
functions for BIP 68

- Segwit BIP is being written, but has not yet been published.

  - Gregory linked to an implementation but as he mentions it is not completely
    finished yet. ETA for a Segwit testnet is later this month, then you can
test as well.

Wladimir