Hi Antoine,

Thanks for your thoughtful response.

Comments inline below:

> Hi John,

> While the idea of using sliding reaction window for blockchain congestion
> detection has been present in the "smart contract" space at large [0] and
> this has been discussed informally among Lightning devs and covenant
> designers few times [1] [2], this is the first and best formalization of
> sliding-time-locks in function of block fee rates for Bitcoin I'm aware
> off, to the best of my knowledge.

Thanks!

> Here my understanding of the feerate-dependent timelock proposal.

> A transaction cannot be included in a block:
> - height-based or epoch-based absolute or relative timelocks are not
> satisfied according to current consensus rules (bip68 and bip 113 and
> implementation details)
> - less than `block_count` has a block median-feerate above the
> median-feerate of the `window_size` period

It's a little bit different from that.
The transaction cannot be included in the blockchain until after an aligned
window W of window_size blocks where:
1) W starts no sooner than when the height-based or epoch-based absolute and/or
relative timelocks have been satisfied, and
2) W contains fewer than block_count blocks with median feerate greater than
feerate_value_bound.

Note that the aligned window cannot start until the absolute and/or relative
timelocks have been satisfied and the transaction itself has to come after the
aligned window.
However, once such an aligned window exists in the blockchain, the transaction
can appear at any later time (and not just within a window that itself meets
the block_count and feerate_value_bound limitations).

> A median feerate is computed for each block.
> (This is unclear to me if this is the feerate for half of the block's
> weight or the median feerate with all weight units included in the
> block as the sample)

A feerate F is the median feerate of a block B if F is the largest feerate such
that the total size of the transactions in B with feerate greater or equal to F
is at least 2 million vbytes.

> From then, you have 3 parameters included in the nSequence field.
> - feerate_value_bound
> - window_size
> - block_count

> Those parameters can be selected by the transaction builder (and
> committed with a signature or hash chain-based covenant).
> As such, off-chain construction counterparties can select the
> feerate_value_bound at which their time-sensitive transaction
> confirmation will be delayed.

> E.g let's say you have a LN-penalty Alice-Bob channel. Second-stage
> HTLC transactions are pre-signed with feerate_value_bound at 100 sat /
> vbytes.
> The window_size selected is 100 blocks and the block_count is 70 (this
> guarantees tampering-robustness of the feerate_value_bound in face of
> miners coalitions).

> There is 1 BTC offered HTLC pending with expiration time T, from Alice to Bob.

> If at time T, the per-block median feerate of at least 70 blocks over
> the latest 100 block is above 100 sat / vbytes, any Alice's
> HTLC-timeout or Bob's HTLC-preimage cannot be included in the chain.

The rules are actually:
1) wait until time T, then
2) wait until the start of a full aligned window W with 100 consecutive blocks
that starts no earlier than T and that has fewer than 70 blocks with median
feerate above 100 sats/vbyte.
(The values 100, 70, and 100 cannot actually be selected in the implementation
in the paper, but that's a technical detail and could be changed if the FDT is
specified in the annex, as you propose.)

> From my understanding, Feerate-Dependent Timelocks effectively
> constitute the lineaments of a solution to the "Forced Expiration
> Spam" as described in the LN paper.

Great!

> I think you have few design caveats to be aware off:
> - for current LN-penalty, the revokeable scripts should be modified to
> ensure the CSV opcode inspect the enforcement of FDT's parameters, as
> those revokeable scripts are committed by all parties

Yes, definitely.

> - there should be a delay period at the advantage of one party
> otherwise you still a feerate-race if the revocation bip68 timelock
> has expired during the FDT delay

> As such, I believe the FDT parameters should be enriched with another
> parameter : `claim_grace_period`, a new type of relative timelock of
> which the endpoint should be the `feerate_value_bound` itself.

I'm not sure I'm following your proposal.
Are you suggesting that the transaction with the FDT has to wait an additional
claim_grace_period in order to allow conflicting transactions from the other
party to win the race?
For example, assume the HTLC-success transaction has a higher feerate than the
feerate_value_bound, and the conflicting HTLC-timeout transaction has an FDT
with the feerate_value_bound (and suitable window_size and block_count
parameters to defend against miner attacks).
In this case, is the worry that the HTLC-success and HTLC-timeout transactions
could both be delayed until there is a window W that meets the FDT's
feerate_value_bound, window_size and block_count parameters, at which point
they would race against each other and either could win?
Is the reason to delay the HTLC-timeout by an additional claim_grace_period to
guarantee that the HTLC-success transaction will win the race?
If so, I don't think it's needed, given the exact definition of the FDT
proposal.
This is because *during* the window W that meets the FDT's requirements, the
HTLC-success transaction should get mined into one of the blocks in W that has
a median feerate no larger than feerate_value_bound, assuming honest miners.
The assumption of honest miners is resolved by setting the window_size and
block_count parameters appropriately.
Does that make sense?

> I think it works in terms of consensus chain state, validation
> resources and reorg-safety are all the parameters that are
> self-contained in the spent FDT-encumbered transaction itself.
> If the per-block feerate fluctuates, the validity of the ulterior
> FDT-locked transactions changes too, though this is already the case
> with timelock-encumbered transactions.

> (One corollary for Lightning, it sounds like all the channels carrying
> on a HTLC along a payment path should have the same FDT-parameters to
> avoid off-chain HTLC double-spend, a risk not clearly articulated in
> the LN paper).

It's interesting that you focused on securing HTLCs, as I was focused on
securing LN channel state (e.g., getting the right Commitment tx) and factory
state.
The challenge with using FDTs to secure HTLCs is that you need a way to specify
a sequence of FDTs (corresponding to the hops in a LN payment) that expire with
enough time between them and with a low feerate period between them.
For example, consider a payment with n hops, where hop i has an HTLC that
expires at time T_i, and where hop n is the last hop.
Without FDTs, one would select expiries such that T_i + cltv_expiry_delta_i <
T_(i-1).
With FDTs, one can't just use the same T_i's and add an FDT that follows that
T_i, because the feerate could be high until well after the first few T_i's are
reached.
For example, assume T_n, T_(n-1) and T_(n-2) all occur before feerates fall
below the feerate_value_bound.
In this case, the HTLC-timeout TXs for hops n, n-1 and n-2 would all be delayed
until the feerates fell, and then they would all be able to be put onchain at
the same time (without the required cltv_expiry_deltas between them).

One attempt to solve this would be to add another parameter that specifies how
many blocks to wait after fees have falled below the feerate_value_bound (like
the claim_grace_perid, if I understand it correctly).
However, that doesn't solve the problem because the congestion could start, and
the feerate_value_bound could be exceeded, at any time.
For example, the feerate_value_bound could first be exceeded just after
T_(n-1), in which case the fees would be too high to put the HTLC-success
transaction onchain in hop T_(n-2).

What we really need is the ability to ensure that there have been enough low
feerate expiries, each separated by the required cltv_expiry_delta.
This can be achieved by adding a new parameter, number_of_windows, that
specifies how many low feerate windows W_1, W_2, etc., are required, all of
which meet the feerate_value_bound, window_size and block_count parameters (and
all of which start no later than when the standard absolute and relative
timelocks have been satisfied).
With this new parameter, lower numbered hops (closer to the sender) can use
larger values of number_of_windows in order to guarantee low feerate periods
that meet the required cltv_expiry_deltas.

For example, assume feerate_value_bound is 256 sats/vbyte, window_size is 256,
and block_count is 64.
Then, give the HTLC-timeout transaction in hop i an absolute timelock of T_n
(the timelock for hop n) and an FDT with number_of_windows equal to (n-i+1)
(and with feerate_value_bound, window_size and block_count as above).
In this case, as long as each cltv_expiry_delta is less than window_size -
block_count = 192, then in each hop the party offered the HTLC can put their
HTLC-success transaction onchain in a low feerate block after they have seen
the hash preimage for at least cltv_expiry_delta blocks.
(In practice, the parameters could be tweaked a bit to break the association
between hops, such as by using more restrictive feerate_value_bounds and/or
block_counts as one gets closer to the source, and by increasing the
number_of_windows parameter by more than one per hop as one gets closer to the
source.)

> Given the one more additional parameter `claim_grace_period`, I think
> it would be wiser design to move all the FDT parameters in the bip341
> annex.
> There is more free bits room there and additionally you can have
> different FDT parameters for each of your HTLC outputs in a single LN
> transaction, if combined with future covenant mechanisms like HTLC
> aggregation [3].
> (The current annex design draft has been designed among others to
> enable such "block-feerate-lock-point" [4] [5])

I like your idea of putting the FDT parameters in the annex.
This is required if we add the number_of_windows parameter that I mentioned
above.

In addition to finding enough bits in the transaction to hold the FDT
parameters, there is a cost to increasing the parameters, namely the memory
required to verify transactions with FDTs.
In the proposal in the paper, FDTs could be specified with 14 bits, so there
were only 2^14 = 16k different values for which the starting block of the most
recent aligned window satisfying those parameters has to be stored in order to
quickly verify FDTs.
Assuming 4 bytes to store the starting block of a window, that's just 64k bytes
of DRAM.
If we add a 6-bit number_of_windows parameter, that increases the storage by a
factor of 64 to 4MB.
That's still pretty small, but we have to be careful to not make this too
expensive.

> I cannot assert that the FDT proposal makes the timeout-tree protocol
> more efficient than state-of-the-art channel factories and payment
> pool constructions.
> Still from my understanding, all those constructions are sharing
> frailties in face of blockchain congestion and they would need
> something like FDT.

I agree that FDTs don't make timeout-trees more competitive against any other
factory protoocol.
I also agree that FDTs can be used to make all of the LN channel and factory
protocools safer.
If we extend the idea to include a number_of_windows parameter, then we should
even be able to make HTLCs safer.

> I'm truly rejoicing at the idea that we have now the start of a
> proposal solving one of the most imperative issues of Lightning and
> other time-sensitive use-cases.

I'm very happy you see it that way.
Please let me know what you think of the number_of_windows idea, and if you
have any other ideas for making HTLCs safer.

Regards,
John

Sent with [Proton Mail](https://proton.me/) secure email.