Merge mining lets Bitcoin miners support or attack an alt-coin without any
additional cost for their proof-of-work.

Since bitcoin miners have to install software to build and claim blocks in
the alt-coin, the percentage of bitcoin hashing power reflected toward the
alt-coin will follow some adoption curve based on convincing bitcoin
miners to opt-in.

Depending on where you are on that adoption curve or 'participation rate',
you need [a lot] less than 51% of of total Bitcoin hashing power in order
to 51% attack the alt-coin.

But there's so much 'dry powder' out there (GPUs), I wonder if *not*
supporting merge-mining is any better? At least the attacker has to do
some unique PoW, so you hope it's costing them something. Relatively large
amounts of hashing can definitely be deployed on target with zero startup
cost, and perhaps very little runtime cost (botnets).

I think the absolute cost of the PoW is very likely *not* the determining
factor in preventing a 51% attack on all but one or two blockchains
currently in existence.

Do I understand correctly, the question here is mostly a matter a game
theory?