On 02/05/2015 02:08 PM, Paul Puey wrote:
> Although not perfect, and it may require visual/verbal verification,
> I don't see what the trust issue is.

I agree that with manual verification between the parties the worst
problem becomes DOS, which is certainly not catastrophic.

But the objective is to the extent possible improve upon the cumbersome
process of QR code, NFC signal, or textual address scanning. Given that
there would be no way to know you are under attack, with the exception
of manual confirmation, it would seem unwise to ever rely on the
automation. If the automation cannot be relied upon, it may actually
make matters worse. People would either take their chances by relying on
it or go through a more complex process.

In terms of the difficulty of an attack, it's important to recognize
that all attacks (DOS, privacy, integrity) in this scenario can be
fully-automated and executed over the air by a black box at some distance:

* DOS is possible by rebroadcasting a similar request.

* Privacy is compromised by monitoring for payment requests and
correlating them to location and potentially images of parties.

* Integrity is compromised by either:
(1) Rebroadcasting a similar transaction with a bogus address but with
the same leading characters; can't be spent but you lose your money.
(2) Rebroadcasting with a valid address that doesn't match the leading
characters, in the expectation that the user doesn't check manually.

Regarding possible mitigation via BIP-70:

A BIP-70 signed payment request in the initial broadcast can resolve the
integrity issues, but because of the public nature of the broadcast
coupled with strong public identity, the privacy compromise is much
worse. Now transactions are cryptographically tainted.

This is also the problem with BIP-70 over the web. TLS and other
security precautions aside, an interloper on the communication, desktop,
datacenter, etc., can capture payment requests and strongly correlate
transactions to identities in an automated manner. The payment request
must be kept private between the parties, and that's hard to do.

So the initial broadcast needs privacy, but then of course it cannot be
a broadcast - it need to be a narrow cast. That brings us back to
proximity-based establishment.

I think that you could get away with this for a while, simply because of
the narrow fields we are working in presently. But in a bitcoin world it
would be very problematic. For this reason I wouldn't want to encourage
standardization on this approach.