This is an incredibly dangerous and foolish proposal that opens up the Bitcoin
network to serious vulnerabilities, both from attackers outside the network, as
well as miners trying to gain an advantage over their competition.

Ultimately it's flawed for the same root problem that proof-of-stake proposals
suffer from: the p2p network just isn't a reliable broadcast medium. Seeing a
transaction is not a guarantee that any other node has seen it; not seeing a
transaction is not a guarantee other nodes have not seen a spend.

You can measure "propagation times" and other metrics all you want, but you're
measuring a network that isn't under attack; Bitcoin must be robust against
attacks, and it must not create incentives to launch them. Institutionalising
the punishment of miners being they did not have perfect connectivity - an
unattainable goal in a trust less, decentralised system - is athema to the
goals of having a decentralised systmem and will only lead to smaller mining
operations being punished for being the victim of attacks on their network
connectivity that are only made profitable by this proposal.

Equally your proposal actually makes it *easier* to pull off apparently
single-confirm double-spend attacks - any miner who ignores a block containing
the apparent double-spend is just as likely to be aiding an attacker trying to
get a 1-conf transaction double-spent. This forces *everyone* to waiting
*longer* before accepting a transaction because now even a single-confirmation
is no longer good evidence of an accepted transaction. In an ecosystem where
hardly anyone relies on zeroconf anyway your putting a much larger group of
people at risk who weren't at risk before.

Frankly if this idea gets traction it should serve as a warning to all miners
that it's time they adopt replace-by-fee to set a clear precedent that they
have no obligations other than the same economic self-interest- not vague
notions of "honesty" - that makes Bitcoin work in the first place.

BTW you quote Hal Finney and Satoshi in your proposal to try to lend support to
it. Don't do that - appealing to authority is a surefire way to get people to
ignore you. Its particularly bad when the authorities being appealed too
haven't participated in consensus research for years; you're referencing stuff
from a time when Bitcoin was barely understood.