Gregory,

No problem, thanks for providing the IRC recap, and glad I've finally made
"radio contact" with the list.  Perhaps there can be some long overdue
discussion on the topic.

I see Kogelman's improvements to my proposal as being of merit and may very
well be sufficient to supersede what I've originally proposed.  I suppose the
main thing I'm wanting to ensure is that the identity of my original proposal
is maintained.  Regardless of whether a paper wallet or physical bitcoin with a
single address is poor form or whether my proposal is rejected or superseded, I
hope there can be a consensus that "BIP38" can continue to be understood to
mean "Password-protected private key proposal by Mike Caldwell", and that it
can appear in the lists of BIPs alongside others.

Regarding "BIP 22"... I in fact did not originally attempt to post to the list
over what I had created and called BIP 22 once upon a time, I literally just
created a wiki entry contrary to advice in BIP 1 that I had not read at the
time.  I recognize it's totally legitimate to feel and act upon the appearance
that BIP 38 was created in a similar shortcut fashion.  Certainly, the next
thing I propose will be in the form of a draft outside the BIP "numberspace"
and I won't solicit a BIP number without an established consensus in the
future.  That said, I'm asking for BIP 38 to stand and be recognized as in
existence, so as to not confuse those who call it by that name and who have
already chosen to do something with it (whether that's to implement it, or to
draft improvements to it like Kogelman).

If I did BIP 38 over again, there's a couple shortcomings of my own that I
wouldn't mind seeing addressed in another iteration, and the right venue for
that may very well be to contribute to Kogelman's work.  My particular
improvements might include wanting the ability to outsource the computationally
expensive step to another service at a minimized risk to the user, potentially
the ability to have special-purpose "encrypted minikeys" (sort of how ARM has
Thumb for places where the tradeoff makes sense), and a typo check with better
privacy (I currently use sha256(address)[0...3] which may unintentionally
reveal the bitcoin address, if it's funded, to someone who has the encrypted
key but doesn't know the password).

mike