On Tue, Dec 03, 2013 at 11:09:51AM +0000, Drak wrote:
> On 3 December 2013 11:03, Peter Todd <p...@petertodd.org> wrote:
>
> > UI once both are implemented is to not show anything in the default
> > case, and explain to the user why they have to pay extra in the unusual
> > case where they are spending a whole bunch of dust.
>

> Yes, that's the other problem with a merchant setting a fee - they have no
> idea how large the transaction might be. If you spend a bunch of dust the
> fee could be 2 or 3x the expected fee. Then you might get merchants
> including higher fees by default to account for this. That means we end up
> paying more per kb over time.

Right, which is solved by requiring a fee-per-kb, and only allowing up
to a certain amount to be deducted from the amount paid to pay that
total fee.

But really, we're better off leaving fees visible to the user in the
first place: they're how Bitcoin works and it's not going to change.
(was just talking to Taylor from Hive Wallet about that in person
actually)

--
'peter'[:-1]@petertodd.org
000000000000000f9102d27cfd61ea9e8bb324593593ca3ce6ba53153ff251b3