Transactions != blocks. There is no need for a "merge" block.

You are free to trade transactions off-line, so long as you are
certain the other parties are not secretly double-spending coins they
send you on the block chain.

When connection to the bitcoin network is re-established, you simply
transmit the transactions and in the regular course of things they
make their way into one of the next blocks.

Any transactions which derive from the double-spent one are invalid.
But that's your problem, not the miners - chase after Bob and get him
to give you the money he owes.