On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 9:38 PM, Jack Scott <jack.scott.pub...@gmail.com>wrote:

> BIP: XX
> Title: Physical key / edge detection software and PIN to generate a
> Bitcoin private key
> Author: Jack Scott
> Type: Standard Track
> Created: 13-3-2014
>
> Abstract:
> A method is proposed to generate a Bitcoin private key by using a physical
> key in conjunction with image recognition software and a PIN.  Use edge
> detection software applied to incoming video feed to convert the shape of a
> physical key into an equation that describes the key.  The hash of the
> key's equation plus a user generated five digit pin can then be used to
> create a Bitcoin private key.

Interesting idea, though as Wladimir mentioned, a real-world "key" is much
less secure than a Bitcoin/PGP "key", though in this case, I could see your
physical/visual "key" being any complex, high-contrast image (like a Motion
Tracking Target: https://www.google.com/search?q=tracking+markers&tbm=isch),
if just using edge-detection (a high-contrast image would help make
low-light or out-of-focus shots still able to be detected), though like a
QR-code, it should probably have calibration markers in the corners to
specify orientation (would help decoding a skewed or rotated image) and the
standard should enforce some minimum level of complexity to prevent really
simple and easy-to-reproduce/steal keys .

Though if you're getting to that level of complexity, you might as well
just have a QR code of the private key.

Brooks