On Saturday, 29 March 2014, at 9:44 am, Tamas Blummer wrote:
> I used Shamir's Secret Sharing to decompose a seed for a BIP32 master key,
> that is I think more future relevant than a single key.
> Therefore suggest to adapt the BIP for a length used there typically 16 or 32
> bytes and have a magic code to indicate its use as key vs. seed.

Master keys of 32 bytes would work as-is, as ordinary private keys are also 32
bytes. Secrets of other lengths could be supported if the function that
generates a[i] from a[i-1] (which is presently SHA-256) were replaced with a
function having parameterized output length, such as scrypt.

Base58Check encodings of shares for secrets of lengths other than 32 bytes
would have prefixes other than "SS", but that's not a huge concern. I suspect
32 bytes would be the most common secret length anyway, wouldn't you?