You took the quote out of context:

"a full node can copy the chain state from someone else, and check that
its hash matches what the block chain commits to. It's important to
note that this is a strict reduction in security: we're now trusting
that the longest chain (with most proof of work) commits to a valid
UTXO set (at some point in the past)."

The described synchronization mechanism would be to determine the
most-work block header (SPV level of security!), and then sync the UTXO
set committed to within that block. This is strictly less security than
building the UTXO set yourself because it is susceptible to a 51% attack
which violates protocol rules.