I somewhat agree with Will (but also with Mike, Jeff, and Charlie.) I
think the idea of letting consumers know advanced details about the
transaction is good and defining these with strong types is also good.
Maybe an arbitrary set of accounting line items would be more
palatable. You could have a line item for state sales tax for example,
or a cash back reward, or a merchant discount like the proposed,
whatever is applicable. It would be a list of amount / label tuples
maybe.

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 12:00 PM, Gmail <will.ya...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, wanting structured data is a decent argument, but why this random
> arbitrary case in particular? There are hundreds of fields like this that
> people might want to use.
>
> If we're going to support one random cosmetic field, we might as well
> support them all with a generic structured data format.
>
> I'd rather we just didn't have this essentially pointless "feature" at all.
> Let's try and keep as much cruft as possible out of the payment protocol.
> The textual memo field is already more than sufficient.
>
> On Jun 24, 2014, at 11:48, Jeff Garzik <jgar...@bitpay.com> wrote:
>
> I think there is nothing wrong with having a numeric memo field, which
> is effectively what this is.  Structured rather than unstructured
> data.

Andy Alness
Software Engineer
Coinbase