I'm moving this design document to a gist so that I can integrate
changes as they come up:
https://gist.github.com/kazcw/43c97d3924326beca87d
One thing that I think is an important improvement over my initial
idea is that the bloom filters don't need to be kept around and built
up, they can just be one-shot and clear any matching entries from the
set of known-knowns upon arrival -- provided a node is careful to
ensure the txes it wants to forget are known-known-known (which isn't
as bad as it sounds) to the peer it's telling it's forgetting them
when the forget-filter arrives.

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 3:46 PM, Gavin Andresen <gavinandre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> A couple of half-baked thoughts:
>
> On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 5:35 PM, Kaz Wesley <kezi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> If there's support for this proposal, I can begin working on the specific
>> implementation details, such as the bloom filters, message format, and
>> capability advertisment, and draft a BIP once I have a concrete proposal for
>> what those would look like and a corresponding precise cost/benefit analysis.
>

> I'd encourage you to code up a prototype first (or at the same time), in
> whatever programming language / networking library you're most familiar with.
>
> Maybe not even using the existing p2p protocol; there could be a mining-only
> very-fast-block-propagation network separate from the existing p2p network.
>
> Combining your optimizations with "broadcast as many near-miss blocks as
> bandwidth will allow" on a mining backbone network should allow insanely fast
> propagation of most newly solved blocks.
>
> --
> --
> Gavin Andresen

Thanks Gavin, I am planning on working out the design details as I
work on a prototype. I have the beginnings of a previous shot at
implementing this in bitcoind to start from but my new design has some
important improvements to add to that.

-kaz