BLE has an advertised range of over 100m.

http://www.bluetooth.com/Pages/low-energy-tech-info.aspx

In the case of mass surveillance that range could most likely be extended
dramatically by the reviewer. I've seen  WiFi ranges of over a mile with a
strong (not FCC approved) receiver.

WiFi hotspots don't have strong identity or a guaranteed position, so they
can't be trusted for location.