Matt,

It seems you missed my suggestion about basing the maximum block size on
the bitcoin days destroyed in transactions that are included in the block.
I think it has potential for both scaling as well as keeping up a constant
fee pressure. If tuned properly, it should both stop spamming and increase
block size maximum when there are a lot of real transactions waiting for
inclusion.

- Joel