This is exactly the sort of solution I was hoping for. It seems this is the
minimal modification to make it work, and, if someone was willing to work
with me, I would love to help implement this.

My only concern would be if the - - max-size flag is not included than this
delivers significantly less benefit to the end user. Still a good chunk,
but possibly not enough.