Even if you could prove "intent to pay," this would be almost useless. I can
sincerely intend to do a lot of things, but this doesn't mean I'll ever
actually do them.

I am in favor of more zero-confirmation transactions being reversed /
double-spent. Bitcoin users largely still believe that accepting zero-conf
transactions is safe, and evidently it's going to take some harsh lessons in
reality to correct this belief.