I have 10 rams living peacefully together in a 2 acre field.  They
have established their "pecking order" and they get along very well
and are good buddies.  They are always fine until I remove some of
them to use in breeding groups.  Then when I put those rams back in
with the other rams again, I have to do it very carefully.

When reintroducing rams that have been apart, it takes about 5 days
to reintroduce the rams to each other.  They will fight to the death
(backing up and ramming each other until they break each other's
necks) if I would allow them to be together in a large space without
this careful reintroduction.  So I start out by cramming all 10 rams
together like sardines in a tiny sturdy space, approximately 5 feet
wide by about 10 feet long.  They stay in this space for 24 to 48
hours, with very little to eat and drink.  I try to provide water in
buckets secured near the edges of this area, and also hay in baskets
hanging off the edge.  The rams will push and lean on each other and
use their body weight to bully one another.  If the gates are not
secure, they may literally push them down in the process of doing
this, so it is important to have a very strong area.  Some rams will
insist on butting others even in this small space, just by "flinging"
their heads to slug each other.  But slowly, they will calm down and
just stand there.  Of course some of the rams are not bullies, they
are just innocent bystanders.  But it is important that every ram on
the premises be involved in this procedure, as they must all learn
their "pecking order" as part of the ram flock.  Otherwise, at a
later time some of the "innocent bystander" rams may end up being
unnecessarily hurt by the bullying rams when the ram flock is
reunited in a large field.  Also, all the rams are needed to pack the
pen, in order to keep the space for movement as limited as possible.

After about 1.5 to 2 days, I will quickly transfer all 10 of the rams
into a slightly larger space (about 16 x 16 feet), hopefully as
secure as the first space.  The fighting will start up again, and a
certain amount of this must simply be tolerated.  Some of the ram
foreheads, noses and so forth may look a little bloody, as they rub
and butt each other's heads.  But the good thing is that they cannot
back up very far, so hopefully they cannot get enough power going to
really hurt one another seriously.  Again, I just keep buckets of
water secured to the walls and hay in baskets along the walls -- I
definitely do not feed anything extra such as corn or other grain
during this time.  And I do not enter the pen.  I fill the water
buckets from outside, and toss the hay into the baskets from
outside.  Only certain rams will fight.  The others (particularly the
younger ones, including ram lambs) will just sort of keep their heads
down and try to not get in the middle of the trouble.  For the next
two days, I will hear occasional sounds of butting (skull to
skull).  Gradually, the fighting settles down and (probably due to
exhaustion as much as anything else) they seem to accept each other's presence.

After about the second day in the 16 x 16 foot pen, I will transfer
them to a larger area (such as a 75 x 100 foot area) but only if the
fighting seems to have stopped.  At this point they will have been in
small quarters for a total of about 4 or 5 days.  If there is
occasional butting soon after this, I will intervene only if it looks
like their lives are in jeopardy.  Usually, however, they are so
exhausted from their sparring that they are willing to calm down and
get along after this point.  The important thing to remember is that
it is very, very dangerous to intervene when two rams are involved in
head butting in a large area.  They may kill each other, but they may
also kill you or your stock dogs if you happen to get in the
middle.  By all means, you should avoid letting the situation happen
where you turn rams out too soon into a large area when they are
still sparring.  It is very difficult to find a way to stop that
event safely once it has started.

Also, please remember that with every transfer to a slightly larger
area, there will be some resuming of fights, but (hopefully) things
will settle down again shortly as the rams get accustomed to their
new larger area.  Once rams have been introduced or reintroduced in
this way and are no longer fighting, I can then transfer them into a
large pasture with no problem.  It is also important to mention that
you should never house rams in a field or area next to a ewe field or
area.  The rams must have a fairly wide area as a "buffer zone",
separating them from the girls.  Otherwise, they will fight
continuously along the adjoining fence line, for rights to the
ewes.  I have my rams in a separate pasture, with at least one
hundred feet of buffer zone between the ram pasture and my other areas.

To help the situation, many people recommend putting ram shields on
each ram during this reintroduction period.  Rams shields are thick
cowhide face masks that prevent the rams from seeing straight
forward, and thus help to stop them from behaving so aggressively to
one another.  I have used ram shields in the past, but I no longer
bother with them as they can slip off, and they may provide a false
sense of security for the sheep breeder.  Also, some of the rams seem
determined to fight, regardless of whether they can see or not.  I
have found that it is better to just reintroduce rams carefully and
systematically as indicated above.  I should also mention that many
times when I have removed a ram from his ram buddies for as little as
20 minutes, the rams will begin to fight when I put him back in the
pen.  Situations like that are hard to deal with, and I usually end
up just hoping they will settle down soon and not get into any major
fights after such a short time apart.

It is really a lot of trouble to reintroduce rams.  I can take a ram
out of his group of buddies in 5 minutes, but it takes 5 days to put
him and his buddies back together!  For that reason, regardless of
when I start my various breeding groups, I like to finish all my
breeding groups on the same day and put all the rams from those
breeding groups back together with their other ram buddies on that
day.  That way, I will only have to go through this reintroduction
procedure once or twice per year.

Once my rams have gotten over their reintroduction sparring, they are
the best of friends.  They seldom if ever are aggressive to each
other, and they love to be near one another.  Also I should mention
that at my farm I have rams with all kinds of personalities.  Some
rams are determined to kill me if they get a chance.  Others are just
sweethearts, and just want to be peacemakers, and don't want any
trouble.  I respect them all, and have taught them to respect me.  I
walk softly and carry a big stick -- that seems to be the right
approach with all of them!

Sincerely,
Mary Swindell