Hi list,
I have enjoyed reading contributions to this list, but have been much more of a learner and have felt (and still feel)everyone else knew a whole lot more a sheep than I, but I'd like to respond to the aggressive ram thread. About a year and a half ago, my polled blackbelly barbados ram knocked a friend of mine (a 250 pound man) off his feet--twice. We were really, really new to sheep then and were astounded. We never go near that ram without a huge stick and have kept him simply because he is a wonderful producer. Seeing made a believer out of me. My other ram is a seemingly much less aggressive dorper. Since the blackbelly ram became seemingly suddenly aggressive, we trust him about as far as we can throw him as well.
I'm almost wondering if I need 'warning, bad ram' signs on my gates.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Carol J. Elkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 3:20 PM
Subject: [blackbelly] aggressive rams

Barb, Mary, Chris, and Rhonda have all given excellent advice about how a shepherd should modify his or her behavior around a ram and not expect a ram to modify his. Mary and I raise Barbados Blackbelly sheep, and even without horns these rams are equally dangerous. We choose to keep our rams instead of butchering them because there are so few breeding rams of this breed in the U.S. that we must preserve every one we have, nasty disposition or not. But if you DO have a choice about keeping an aggressive ram, I would suggest choosing to butcher him. In the long run, you will be safer and happier.

This discussion has occurred several times over this list's history. And every time, there are a few people who respond with "Gee, my ram is really nice." I cringe every time I read that kind of response because it is just inviting disaster. If you have a good-natured ram, good for you. But we don't know how old your ram is or what his pecking order is or any of the other circumstances that can affect a ram's behavior. So I beg you to please not give new shepherds any kind of response that might lead them to believe that THEIR ram might also be an exception to the rule. Let them err on the side of safety. I don't want the new shepherd, or the shepherd with the friendly ram, to come back to this list in a year to tell us that the ram just put them in hospital or killed their grandson. This is a tremendously friendly list and most folks go out of their way not to offend. But when it comes to safety, please take a lesson from Mary. Her email clearly stated that she did not want to offend, but she also was very clear about the danger involved. Don't be afraid to tell list members stuff for their own good. If you don't make it personal, then they won't take offense. And even if you do make it personal, I'd rather have an offended reader than a dead one.

Carol