Karen,
I am not feeding hay at this time, because there's still enough grass in my pasture not to stress it by overgrazing with my small number of sheep. When I weaned, my two remaining adult ewes needed to put on some condition (one raised twins, the other triplets, unassisted), so after the weaning phase I accustomed the flock to alfalfa pellets, which are scarcely any more expensive than good baled alfalfa here, and there is no waste (expect about 20% waste with alfalfa hay, which is painful at $12 a bale). They relish it now, as they do beet pulp pellets, and I give them 1/4 lb mixed grain and 1/2 lb pellets to supplement the poor nutrition in the grass. They also get free choice kelp, salt and sheep minerals.

The ewes regained their condition in no time, and the lambs are sleek and beautiful, nobody is fat, nobody is thin.

I MUST do more research on beet pulp, because it is being studied as an alternative to grain for grass finishing, and it has nutritional value similar to oats, at about 9% protein. It is low on the glycemic index, which means it doesn't spike the blood sugar like oats. They like it quite well!

All the literature says to feed them as cheaply as possible according to their life cycle, but other literature says the animals will do have a longer productive life if kept in good shape throughout their lives. I'm one of those that can't scrimp on feed at any point, but everyone must tailor their feeding program to their circumstances, and to "the eye of the master."

Regards,
Barb L.