Barb:
Great recounting of your day.  I have not posted to the list in a while due
to this being my lambing season..  It was supposed to be about 2 months
earlier, but Spike must have talked to the Union steward and got my old
wether, Blackie, to work for him about 7 months back.

I have had an average of at least 2 new lambs every morning for the last 2
weeks. I have 2 sets of triplets with one mama having a sore udder.  I am
bottle feeding the runt and it is doing pretty well.  Dad came back from
getting his mail yesterday afternoon and said I had one more and probably ne
more on the way.  Mama was under his front porch.  I went to check on her,
and noticed only one leg out, and she decided we were to play ring around
the rosie while she ran under and around the porch steps.  I finally went
over the porch and caught her neck while hanging off the porch.  She won, I
lost...  Then I chased her through the canola pasture and down the drive
while carrying the newborn.  She had a little more protrusion after the
second trip down the drive, the nose was out, but still only one leg.  I
figured all the jostling would keep the lamb stimulated and would not give
up...  Finally got her into the large pen and made two passes to get her
cornered.  No good.  She went around the tank we turned into a sheep barn.
It is round.  ever try to catch a sheep by yourself by chasing her around a
round barn.  On the outside no less.  I grabbed a cattle panel tied next to
the fence and pulled it out to hed her into the round barn door.  Needed
about another 6 feet to make it.  If I keep her moving I can corner her into
the fence before she goes around the panel..........  Right, great plan.

Cornered her, caught her, she takes off and goes thru my arms and I now have
the right back hock in my right hand.   While being laid straight out behind
her....  I hung on, pulled and grabbed and threw her down on her side.  Sat
or actually laid on top of her while grabbing the protruding leg to save the
lamb.  Got IT!!!!   A live lamb!!  tickled its nose with a grass straw and
it sneezed.  Stuck it under  mama's nose, she is now standing, and I am on
my knees..  She starts licking and it cries.  Now, where did I put that
other Lamb???  Oh Yeah, it is still down the drive next to the telephone
pole.....  When I get up, I start crying...  In pain..   It gets pretty bad
to have to chase them down to pull a lamb.  Especially at 300 lbs and 53
years old....    I crawled back over to the four wheeler.  I had left it at
Dad's front porch,  picked up the lamb that was trying to bond with the
telephone pole, and delivered it to the new mama..   She looked at me as if
to say...  Oh,  There it is, Silly Me!!!!

Drove the four wheeler back over to the barn where my Dad is sitting reading
the mail.   He asks,  "Have any trouble with her??"   "No Daddy not a
bit..."

Mother in Law has been throwing a fit for us to come in and eat.  So I get
cleaned up, been putting a new bed cover on the pickup.  It is made of
alumin um panels and folds up.  Really looks great and makes the bed secure
when traveling.  Got bvack home about 10:45 last night.  One ewe with 2 new
lambs, one decided to start...  Still got good clothes on.  She can't wait,
and I see two feet but no nose.  Wait a few more contractions, but they are
really intense and she is in a lotta pain.  Gotta help or lose a lamb.  Head
is there but neck is not stretched out to aproach well.  Work with her about
five minutes to get it started.  another live lamb!!!!!!  First time my wife
ever saw one born.  I go to the house to change clothes.  Get
back, she is now licking another one and looking for some extra grain like
her suitemate has!!

Ok it is 12:30 am.  got everybody with hay, grain, and water.  Get back out
to the shop at 9:00 am this morning.  Dad asks " You sleeping in this
morning?  You oughta get to bed once in a while instead of running all over
The City all night!!"   " Yeah, these late hours are killing me."

However, when I just went out to check on everybody, and they come up to
nuzzle a hand to check if it has a candy bar or a cookie, and I get to pet a
few without them darting off, it seems worthwhile...   Who needs sleep
anyway??  Had to stop and think, is it 31 new lambs or 33?  All in the last
3 weeks.

Cecil Bearden,  Piedmont, OK