At 02:31 PM 5/27/2006, you wrote:
>We have a field with allot of thistle in it. How do we get rid of it short
>of a shovel and hoe? without hurting the sheep. Is there a spray etc that
>can be put on it? Thanks for any ideas. Nancy

Well, 2-4,D should kill thistles while leaving the grass alive, but I
personally don't like using chemicals.  I would either get out there with a
blowtorch and steam them to death, or wait for them to flower, and mow your
fields.  You may have to mow 3 or 4 times through the year, just keep an eye
out for flowering thistles.  Another thing you could do disc/rototill the
field, then plant buckwheat to smother out the weeds.  You can mow or disc to
kill the buckwheat, then plant more.  You can get 2 or 3 plantings of buckwheat
before the frosts come, then re-seed your pasture.  This is what I'm doing this
summer, not just to deal with weeds, but to add some organic matter to my soil.

Julian