Barb

I would have to agree - we flush out sheep and goats
and then cut out the grain and make sure we have good
quality grass hay - they comsume more hay - but get
more energy out of the hay.  A few years ago we had
high grain bill, low conseption, and fat sheep.  A
rancher told us to cut the grain after flushing and
they will do better, keep warmer and be better
condition for lambing.  It seems to work - when we do
flush we combine corn and oats.  I read about the hay
giving them more energy and have been looking for that
info.  I am seeing the same thing with my St Croix
sheep - they do better on good quality grass hay.  I
am in MN / WI and it get cold -but they do fine.  The
rancher also said if you feed grain - they will stop
eating hay and wait for the grain and not eat hay
until they are really hungry - they gap in eating hay
changes the rumen - it all makes sense to me.

Nate