Cecil now brings out another question that I've been having about
general nutrition that I've been pondering.

My understanding is that during the rapid growth of the weaned lambs
they need a high protein diet to help encourage rapid and complete
growth. One of the ingredients I've seen in that kind of show-feed
tends to be a lot of corn, even though corn is not a great source of
protein itself. And I've mixed my feeds with corn in the past as well
as an energy source because of all of the starch -- (You can buy
cracked corn which is very inexpensively as well scratch grains that
have a high corn content in them - I was blending my own feed for a
time).

Long story short, a friend of mine is trying to tell me that "corn"
based products (or those high protein feeds that are high in corn
content) are not good for animals in general because of something
called acidosis
(http://www.livestocktrail.uiuc.edu/dairynet/paperDisplay.cfm?ContentID=215)
but when he and I are talking about this problem he's mainly talking
about cattle (such as the article I'm giving here) but is inferring
the same thing for sheep.

I realize this is a VERY complicated topic and depends on what stage
of life the animal is in, but for the sake of simplicity let's just
say we're talking about a normal 2-year old ewe or ram who's not
pregnant - simply maintenance.

Do sheep have certain nutritional needs, what are they, and do
corn-based products cause a shorter or less healthy life?
Can anyone refer me to a site where I can read up on this?

Cecil's price is really very very good. I've even seen some really low
protein All-stock (8-10% protein) running at about  $7.60/ bag. If
high protein isn't needed, will we get the same growth out of these
less expensive feeds? That could make a huge difference in profit.

--David