My first question would be if the rings are the black ones or the green doughnut ones. I have castrated Blackbelly rams as old as 10 years with bands. I used the callicrate bander for the big ones. I am a firm believer in this bloodless castration method. I have used in on calves when they first came out and never had a problem. Problems occur when you do not get the band low enough on the scrotum and when the scrotum falls off you have a large open sore due to expansion of the belly. After applying the band pull the band lower so that it creates a snug condition on the testicles. This will ensure that there is enough skin to close up and heal together prior to the scrotum falling off. If you get it a little tight they will experience some pain (ouch! legs together!!!) for a short time. You can move the band up or down for a few minutes after application, so you have to make a judgement call. I always had a few in my pocket so I could always cut one off and change it.

Hope this answers our question.
Cecil in OKla

Merry Christmas
Happy New Year.

Carol Elkins wrote:
In the 12 years I've raised BB sheep, I've never castrated. But I now have a bottle baby ram that I would like to castrate so that if I can't bear to butcher him he can live in the flock without becoming aggressive. I've had a ring expander and a supply of "O" rings for years. My question is whether the "O" rings are small enough to castrate our breed of tiny lamb. Is there anything special I need to do? Does the rule about castrating between 7-10 days apply to blackbelly sheep?

Carol

Carol Elkins
Critterhaven--Registered Barbados Blackbelly Hair Sheep
(no shear, no dock, no fuss)
Pueblo, Colorado
http://www.critterhaven.biz
T-shirts, mugs, caps, and more at the