From: blackbelly-boun...@lists.blackbellysheep.info
[mailto:blackbelly-boun...@lists.blackbellysheep.info] On Behalf Of Double J
Farms
Sent: Monday, August 03, 2009 3:48 PM
To: blackbelly@lists.blackbellysheep.info
Subject: [Blackbelly] Update on bottle lamb

Thought I would share some experiences with the bottle lamb since I last
posted (6/23). We successfully reintroduced the lamb to the herd at 7 days
old. We would go down to the barn every 4 hours and feed, but otherwise we
were hands-off. She adapted well and appears to be only slightly smaller
than her sister. We went through a couple of bouts with scours (cut milk
concentration ~50% and pepto then slowly increased milk concentration) and
survived. The lamb will be 7 weeks old on 8/5. She currently gets a bottle
of full strength replacer milk every 8 hours and drinks about 15 ounces in
3 minutes flat. She eats grain, hay and grass with the other 9 lambs and
acts like a sheep - except that she actually comes when we call her and is
not afraid of the family dog (the dog normally licks the excess milk from
the lamb's face).  Its getting close to time to wean and we are thinking of
trying to reduce the feedings to every 12 hours for about a week and then go

to once a day for about a week before stopping the bottle. Any suggestions?

John Carlton
Double J Farms
Spanish Fort, Alabama
251-625-2519