Bloat will be the first problem. Grazing when the dew is still on the plant is reportedly a cause of bloat.... I would use this as hay and not graze it green. Every time I have tried to give my girls some lush growth, it proved detrimental. I would make sure that my tetanus/overeating vaccinations were up to date, as this will be a major problem. I lost 2 last month by putting out protein tubs. It rained and they got the supplement and the new lush growth of grass and 2 died from tetanus/overeating.

Save your alfalfa hay for your new mamas...

Cecil in OKla

Michael Smith wrote:
I'm going to plant one of my fenced pens with alfalfa. In northern
California, it should grow like mad thru the winter and be 18" tall by
spring.  I have a sickle mower and can harvest it, but was wondering
what the group's experience with grazing sheep on live alfalfa, under
controlled conditions.

I could, for instance, give them, say, an hour a day on it. It will be
about 10 animals on 1/2 acre, so I doubt they could do much to eat the
plants to the ground in 1 hour a day, for instance.

Our place is green with new grass already, and I have dry hay from the
summer to feed them as well, but right now, they are mostly eating
green grass and green ground-cover.

I know alfalfa can be detrimental if they eat too much of it when it's
green. Looking to see if anyone has any experience with this.

_Michael, Perino Ranch Blackbellies.