-----Original Message-----
From: j...@aol.com
To: blackbelly@lists.blackbellysheep.info
Sent: Tue, Jan 12, 2010 3:36 pm
Subject: Rigid Lamb virus or Cache Valley Virus

Has anyone on the list had deformed lambs born with rigid legs?   Either flexed or extended and rigid?   Cache Valley Virus is a mosquito born virus.   The ewe contracts the virus from a mosquito bite early in her pregnancy and it affects the fetus causing several different kinds of deformities, most common rigid legs.

I bred ewes this past summer, and of 24 lambs born in the last ten days, three lambs were affected by Cache Valley Virus.   The rigid legs makes delivery almost impossible and I lost one ewe.   The other ewe was able to deliver.  The vet assisted but there was really not much he could do under the circumstances.

As it is caused by a mosquito bite it only causes problems with ewes bred during the warmer months of the year.

Elaine Haas

http://www.blackbellysheep.info