At 09:21 AM 1/24/2010, you wrote:
>Julian
>
>My primary concern is any negative effect on the lams or ewes because of the
>ewes getting the shot too close to laming time. Do you know if there can be
>bad effects to the lams/ewes or just the potential of the lams not getting the
>full effect?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Dave

It's possible, but unlikely, that a vaccine could cause abortion or other
problems.  Some are notorious for causing injection site reactions and other
problems, but CD/T is generally pretty safe.  I was concerned with the H1N1
paranoia focusing on pregnant women that expecting mothers would have a lot of
reactions to the shot, but it looks like I was worried for nothing.

Frankly, no research has been done to see how long these shots are good for, so
we don't know.  For instance, the rabies shot in dogs is good for 5+ years(some
say well over 5 years).  Giving a ewe a CD/T shot every 2nd or 3rd year, a
month or two before breeding time would probably be perfectly adequate to
confer (temporary) immunity to the lambs.  IMO, lambs should not receive any
vaccines prior to 8 weeks, and 12 weeks would be better.  The mother's
colostrum provides immunity longer than that, and the young lamb's immune
system is not able to make use of a vaccine prior to ~8 weeks anyway.  So a
shot at 12 weeks, one at 15-16 weeks, and if they are staying a booster around
1 year old.  Vaccines have the potential to cause auto-immune disease and other
problems, so you want to give as few shots in their lifetime as you can but
still maintain immunity.

Julian