At 04:38 PM 3/18/2010, you wrote:
>Interesting, Julian. I've always read that sulfa-based drugs have side
>effects and Corid has no "known/proven" side effects.  I got hit hard
>with scours several times with our three bottle-ewes and a pygmy goat
>last year. I started with Albon and read up on how it works and was
>desperate for something even more effective, or to work with it.

<snip>

" How CORID works
Structurally, CORID mimics thiamin (Vitamin B1) which is required by
coccidia for normal growth and reproduction. When coccidia ingest
CORID, they experience thiamin deficiency and starve from
malnutrition. CORID has been experimentally administered at many times
the recommended dosage and duration with no signs of toxicity.

Sorry for the late reply, I "lost" this message in all the hustle and bustle
lately.

This is the problem with Corid, it inhibits thiamin uptake in the rumen, and
leads to a B1 deficiency.  I've read that Rumensin and related drugs are a good
preventative, you could try that.  I've seen plenty of Sweetlix blocks that
contain rumensin.  I'm not really big on pharmaceuticals in general, and
usually prefer the older types when I use one, since the safety is well known
and long established.  This can cause a condition called
"polioencephalomalacia", which quickly leads to death.  I'll take the
sulfadimethoxine...

Julian