> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 10:47:49 -0700
> From: Julian Hale <jbh...@comcast.net>
> <snip>

> Sorry for the late reply, I "lost" this message in all the hustle and bustle
> lately.
>
> This is the problem with Corid, it inhibits thiamin uptake in the rumen, and
> leads to a B1 deficiency.  I've read that Rumensin and related drugs are a
> good preventative, you could try that.  I've seen plenty of Sweetlix blocks
> that contain rumensin.  I'm not really big on pharmaceuticals in general, and
> usually prefer the older types when I use one, since the safety is well known
> and long established.  This can cause a condition called
> "polioencephalomalacia", which quickly leads to death.  I'll take the
> sulfadimethoxine...
>
> Julian

dang, I got all excited about Rumensin, and then downloaded the product label,

http://elms.xh1.lilly.com/rumensin_80_label.pdf

which specifically warns against using it on any species besides
catlle and goats. It will kill horses and according to their own
warnings can easily be toxic even to goats if you mess up the dilution
or over-dose them.

The reason I have settled on trying Corid, is because of their claim
"CORID has been experimentally administered at many times
> the recommended dosage and duration with no signs of toxicity."

but now that you have backed up the claim it might be possible to have
a thiamine deficiency, I went searching and found this, which supports
what you are saying:

www.meatgoats.ncsu.edu/PUBS_files/Coccidiosis.pdf

If a possible co-treatment is to provide B1/Thiamine, then it's manageable.

-Michael, Perino Ranch Blackbellies.