My experience has been that lactating ewes do best on alfalfa hay. For grain I use corn pellets that are the dried leftovers from pressing out the syrup in corn. It is high in protein and very digestible. For ewes with twins I give about 4 to 6 oz a day. This stuff is really potent, and they love it. Grain will tend to pack and also give you a problem with tetanus if you have not vaccinated. Just a small amount of any feed other than roughage to be safe. Last thing you want is orphans.

Cecil in OKla

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Quinn" <cars1...@yahoo.com>
To: <blackbelly@lists.blackbellysheep.info>
Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2010 10:36 PM
Subject: [Blackbelly] A question about grain

Before I get to the question ewe 2 just had a nice healthy little ewe lamb. That helps counter the 2 that we lost. So--for live lambs, we now have two
ewes and 1 ram.

Now to my question.  I have been feeding exclusively hay.  Would anyone
recommend grain for the lactating ewes? If so, what?

Tom quinn